The seventh and final season of Riverdale is set to premiere on Wednesday, March 29, and with the gang in the 1950s, this will be the biggest situation they will have dealt with after the Black Hood, the Gargoyle King, The Farm, Percival Pickens, and more. To get ready, we are taking a look back at the previous six seasons to catch up on the biggest storylines of the series, so take a refresher on what happened in season 1!
The Death of Jason Blossom
The death of Jason Blossom rocked the town of Riverdale and kept fans on edge for 13 episodes as the mystery went on for the entirety of the first season. The twin brother of Cheryl Blossom, Jason went missing on the 4th of July near Sweetwater River, where Kevin and Moose later discovered his body, which had a bullet hole right to the head.
As residents mourned, they also tried to figure out just who could be behind such a gruesome thing, but no one was prepared for the truth. After the Core Four recovered a hard drive with video surveillance on it, it was discovered that Jason and Cheryl’s own father, Clifford Blossom, did the deed, and not Jughead’s father, F.P., who was framed (though he did help with getting rid of Jason’s body). Clifford then killed himself in a shed on the Blossom property.
Not only that, but throughout the season, you learn more about Jason and what his plans really were for that holiday weekend. With Polly Cooper pregnant, the two had planned on running away to take care of the twins, and Cheryl even helped. Unfortunately, things went very wrong.
This mystery was the first of many that the residents of Riverdale would endure, and it would only get crazier.
New Girl in Town
As Riverdaliens were mourning one of their own, Veronica Lodge was making her mark as the new girl in town. Although she was from New York, her father, Hiram Lodge, was a big name, but of course, it wasn’t for good reasons. She quickly formed a friendship with Archie Andrews and Betty Cooper, and the infamous love triangle was born.
Adding in Archie’s other longtime best friend, Jughead Jones, the Core Four has been a force to be reckoned with, even throughout everything they’ve been through. But no relationship, murder mystery, etc., will bring them down.
Relationships and Scandals
It’s not a teen drama without a little romance and a little scandal, and season 1 of Riverdale had a lot of it, so let’s break it down:
- As Betty and Veronica started fighting over Archie, he had his eyes set on his music teacher, Mrs. Grundy. Of course, when word spread about it, the relationship didn’t end well, and Grundy left Riverdale High for Greendale … until she was mysteriously killed.
- To keep her mind off Archie, Veronica set her sights on bad boy Bulldog, Chuck. After a prank and rumors started swirling about a “sticky maple,” Veronica and Betty got their revenge on him, and it was for all of the girls wronged by him and the Bulldogs, who even had a game going on involving the females of Riverdale High.
- Betty, meanwhile, was slowly falling for Jughead, despite the fact that he’s “weird” and a Serpent. Their kiss in Betty’s bedroom solidified their relationship, thus creating Bughead.
What Else Happened?
- Before Reggie Mantle was played by Charles Melton, he was portrayed by Ross Butler in season 1. Butler left ahead of season 2 to continue his role on Netflix’s 13 Reasons Why.
- As Archie was falling for Mrs. Grundy, he pulled a Troy Bolton and tried to decide whether to pursue football or music. If only things were still that simple.
- Jughead’s home away from home, Twilight Drive-In, was bought by Hiram, and everyone had to leave. Jughead then pulled a Harry Potter and slept under the stairs at school before Archie and Fred took him in.
- After Clifford’s suicide, it was found out that he was actually funneling drugs and using the Blossom maple business as a front.
- Not wanting to suffer with her brother’s death and what her father did, Cheryl tried to drown herself in the icy Sweetwater River. Luckily, the Core Four found her just in time, and Archie broke the ice to save her (leaving KJ Apa with a broken hand IRL).
- As Archie and Fred are talking and eating at Pop’s, the place is robbed by a man in a ski mask, who shoots Fred, beginning the next mystery in the Town of Riverdale: The Black Hood.
Stay tuned to our recap of season 2! In the meantime, watch all six seasons of Riverdale now on Netflix before season 7 premieres on Wednesday, March 29 at 9 p.m. EST on The CW! Check out the rest of our Riverdale coverage here.