Happy Women’s History Month to all of our readers! To celebrate, the SYFY network announced their multi-platform campaign “We Are Her(oes)” to celebrate. The television network will showcase content that is women-centered everyday during the month of March. SYFY will feature content on its social, digital, and linear platforms specifically made by women or made for women.
You can check out SYFY’s full “We Are Her(oes)” schedule below:
- Wynonna Earp Marathons- will air Friday, March 6 from 6:30-9:30 a.m; Friday March 20 from 6:30-10:30 a.m; Friday March 27 from 6-9 a.m on the SYFY channel. The special marathons will then lead up to an behind-the-scenes look at Season four during the 20 Women To Watch in 2020 special
- Vagrant Queen premiere- Friday, March 27 at 10/9c on the SYFY channel. The newest ten episode series based on the comic book series from Vault Comics and was created by an all female group of directors and writers.
- “MAN-SEL in Distress” Movie Marathon- will air Sunday, March 8 from 9 a.m-11:30 p.m on SYFY. This movie marathon puts a spotlight on strong female charactors that come to save the day and the men in distress. These films include Lara Croft; Tomb Raider, Zombieland, X-Men: First Class, and Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life. you can check out the promo here!
- Forgotten Women of Genre podcast- Available Monday, March 2 here. As well as the second season of SYFY Fangrrls podcast will pay respect to twenty 20 women who helped shape the genre. There will be 20 new episodes throughout the month of March!
- 20 Women To Watch In 2020 Documentary- will air Friday, March 27 11/10c on SYFY right after the premier of Vagrant Queen! This special documentary will showcase up and coming women in comics, TV, and film who will impact the genre in the upcoming year!
Throughout the month of March, SYFY will also change up its logo and showcase custom content that honors female fandom across its platforms. Some of the changes include:
- SYFY Fangrrls “We Are Her(oes): Teasers– teasers shown on the air showing custom animations that spotlight the voice of SYFY Fangrrls. Check out some examples on SYFY’s Youtube!
- Women’s History Month-Themed SYFY Logos –Newly made SYFY brand logos and on-air bugs will emphasize #GrrlPower.
- Fan-Made Animation Spots-Logo animations created by fans partnered with the platform Tongal will air during March.
- “Home-Grown” Network Vignettes- Custom vignettes celebrating the strong female characters of SYFY shows Van Helsing, The Magicians, Wynonna Earp, and Vagrant Queen.
- Forgotten Women of Genre short stories- Animations of different stories of female strength and empowerment. You can find an example on SYFY’s Youtube
Custom, brand new SYFY Fangrrls content throughout Women’s History Month will include:
- Grrl Talk- Every week in March, a different women will share what she’s fangirling about, what fandom is to her, and how she has been inspired by the different genre creators, characters, and properties.
- Get Rec’d-SYFY FANGRRLS’- Special lists of recommendations from well-known female creators
- Fangrrls on Film – Every Friday, SYFY Fangrrls will share lists of the films created by women you must-watch, as well as sharing female-led movies by interviews and reviews.
Senior Vice President of SYFY Wire Sandy Deane, states:
“Fandom is about coming together to rally around our passions, no matter who you are, at SYFY, we celebrate women every day, but this month we’re going all out to honor those trailblazers who’ve influenced genre, storytelling, fandom and the creative arts in inspiring ways. We want to change the narrative around female fandom and give women a platform to celebrate their passions and join the conversation — not just this March, but all year long.”
SYFY has been one of the most popular television networks with some of the most original science fiction television shows and films so March should definitely be an exciting month for women everywhere that are a fan of the genre!