Shark Week is one of the most anticipated summer events! This week-long special is returning Sunday, July 24, for its 34th year. Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson will be hosting this year and will be taking viewers along for 25 hours of shark adventures. Viewers will get to experience never before seen original content of walking sharks, breaches, and important field team research. Shark Week has partnered this year with many amazing marketing partners to give fans more opportunities to celebrate sharks in their own way.
One major feature will be an exclusive look at the new HBO Series, House of the Dragon, at 9 p.m. EST during the Shark Week premiere. This series is based on the popular book by George R.R. Martin, Fire & Blood. The show’s events will take place around 200 years before the happenings of Game of Thrones. Following the lives of the House of Targaryen with their famous dragons, this series will premiere Sunday, August 21 at 9 p.m. EST on HBO and HBO Max.
Shark Week has many marketing partners that are dedicated to magnifying this year’s unforgettable week-long special. Some of the partners have been faithful supporters for nine years! Southwest Airlines, MLB Clubs, Pooch Perks, MeUndies, The Paley Center for Media, Georgia Aquarium, Georgetown Cupcake, and Ubisoft are returning supporters. Alongside these supporters are some major non-profit partners. One of these is Beneath the Waves, a scientific research institute dedicated to protecting sharks and catalyzing ocean policy. Joining them is Oceana, the largest international advocacy organization dedicated solely to ocean conservation. Alongside the returning supporters are some new partners; the American Red Cross, Paper Source, and Sugarfina have joined this great cause.
Karen Bronzo, Chief Marketing Officer, US Networks, WarnerBros. Discovery was quoted as saying, “When loved brands come together, they help amplify each other and break through to fans in new and unique ways. Marketing partnerships are an integral part of the Shark Week experience and allow us to continue to innovate our Shark Week offerings and extend our reach. Whether they are on a flight, getting a sweet treat, or doing something to make an impact, these collaborations allow super fans to interact with the brand and celebrate their love of Shark Week.”
Listed below are some of the Shark Week partners and their unique offerings for this week-long special:
- Southwest Airlines — During a flight, customers will be able to enjoy free content via the Shark Week On Demand channel in the Inflight Entertainment Portal. This channel will contain a library of episodes that customers can view. The fun will continue as Southwest customers tune in to Shark Week on Discovery, beginning Sunday, July 24, with live TV onboard Southwest WiFi-equipped flights. They can also join Discovery on a Shark Week in-flight takeover on July 22 from Dallas to San Diego.
- MLB — Baseball fans can prepare for Shark Week one game at a time. Beginning now through July 31, four teams, including the Chicago Cubs, St. Louis Cardinals, Texas Rangers, and Tampa Bay Rays, are hosting branded Shark Week game nights! These games will include the Shark Week mascot Chompie making an appearance at MLB clubs across the country. Chompie will help cheer teams on with giveaways, trivia, and shark content on the big screen. Fans will also be able to have exclusive meet and greets and photo opportunities.
- Atlanta’s Georgia Aquarium — The aquarium has been a long-standing partner and will continue this legacy with Rose, the adorable seal featured in this year’s Shark Week launch promo. Beginning July 21, there will be film screenings, t-shirts for staff, branded signage, and more at the Georgia Aquarium. Visitors during Shark Week will get up close and personal with Rose the Seal and test their knowledge with special trivia. Visitors will also have a chance to win exclusive Shark Week swag when they attend the Georgia Aquarium from July 21 to the 28.
- Beneath the Waves and Oceana — These two incredible companies are the recipients of Discovery’s annual text to donate campaign. Viewers can help by texting the word “shark” to 707070. The text link will also provide access to exclusive SHARK WEEK Zoom backgrounds featuring the text-to-donate. Beneath the Waves and Oceana are working to end the U.S. fin trade once and for all.
- The American Red Cross — This unique partnership is to help urge eligible donors of all blood types to donate now. If a viewer donates this year, they will have the chance to win $5,000 worth of Shark Week merchandise. To be entered, all you have to do is donate blood, platelets, or plasma during July. When doing your part to help prevent a summer shortage, you will be entered in the 2022 Shark Week Sweepstakes. The winner will receive a prize that will include a beach bike, smokeless portable fire pit, paddleboard, kayak, and a $500 gift card. Donors will also receive an exclusive Shark Week t-shirt from July 21 through the 24.
- Pooch Perks
- Georgetown Cupcake
- Paper Source
- The Paley Center for Media
- Discovery Education
If you would like more information on Shark Week or any of their amazing supporters you can visit their official website here.