Fans of this season’s new Broadway smash Hadestown have been waiting with bated breath for the release of the original Broadway cast album.
Originally announced to be available for download and streaming on June 7, there has been a bit of a snag in production, but we have been assured that the extra time needed for the mix will be well worth the wait.
Not to keep fans in suspense for much longer, the tracks are being released in waves. The first batch of tracks were dropped on June 4 and June 7, allowing the following songs to be streamed or purchased for download right now:
- “Livin’ it Up on Top”
- “Way Down Hadestown”
- “Hey, Little Songbird”
- “When the Chips are Down (“Songbird vs. rattlesnake…”) [Intro]”
- “When the Chips are Down”
- “Gone, I’m Gone”
- “Wait for Me (“Hey, The big artiste…”) [Intro]”
- “Wait for Me”
- “Why We Build the Wall”
- “Why We Build the Wall (“Behind closed doors…”) [Outro]”
- “Our Lady of the Underground”
- “Road to Hell (Reprise)”
The remaining tracks will drop in batches on June 28, July 12, and July 26. According to the official Instagram page for the show, the tracks will be released according to character grouping as follows:
- Friday, June 28 – Hades and Persephone
- Friday, July 12 – Hermes, the Fates, and the Workers Chorus
- Friday, July 26 – Orpheus and Eurydice
The full original Broadway cast album will ultimately consist of 40 tracks and will also be released on a physical double album.
Hadestown brilliantly displays music written by singer/songwriter Anais Mitchell and is directed by Rachel Chavkin (Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812). This show that combines the Greek myths of Orpheus and Eurydice with that of Hades and Persephone has received Tony Award nominations in 14 categories, including Best Musical.