It’s never too early in the year for horror movies! Exciting news for fans of the horror genre!
Image Courtesy of Shane Douberly.
Shriekfest Film Festival is celebrating its 20th anniversary of the film competition October 1-4, 2020 in Orlando, Florida for the fourth year!
The festival begins on Thursday, October 1 with an opening night party open to everyone. Beginning on Friday, the festival will continue the tradition of showing short films along with feature length films at the Raleigh Studios in Hollywood, ending with an awards ceremony Sunday, October 4. The festival will also come to Orlando November 7, 2020!
The festival was started in July of 2001 by Denise Gossett and has become one of the biggest sci-fi and horror festivals and the only festival to cover two different coasts. Shriekfest has helped many up and coming actors, producers, and writers get their work seen by their peers and helped some start in major films.
Director and Founder Denise Gossett stated:
“We have some really amazing things lined up for our 20th year!”
Shriek fest awards participants with many prizes as well as exposure. Some categories participants can enter include narrative super short, narrative feature, feature screenplay, and short screenplay are up for awards among other categories. You can check out information on schedules and sponsorships and more at their website
A few awards Shriekfest has earned in its 20 years include:
- 2010 Movie Maker Magazine top 25 film festivals worth the entry fee.
- 2011 Movie Maker Magazine top 13 film festivals to die for.
- 2013 Movie Maker Magazine Top 5 coolest Horror/SciFi Film Festivals in the world.
- 2015 Festival Denise Gossett voted #5 out of 13 Most Influential Women in Horror History.
- 2016 Festival Director Denise Gossett voted Most Influential Woman in Genre.
2016 iHorror voted Shriekfest the number one Horror Film Festival.
- 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020 Top 100 Film Festivals on Film Freeway.
- Declared “LA’s Most Successful & Entertaining Horror Film Festival” by LA Weekly.
Right now Shriekfest is attempting to win a $50,000 grant and you can vote for them in the FedEx Small Business Grant Contest by going to their website
so they can continue to help aspiring filmmakers! If that isn’t exciting enough, this year the festival is having a contest until September 1 for fans to create their own Shriekfest commercials! The winning commercial will be aired during the festival itself. There are only a few requirements to enter:
- must mention that Shriekfest is in its 20th year
- be under a minute long, and
- be sci-fi or horror related
Shriekfest Film Festival is sure to be the perfect kick start to the Halloween season. If you’re a fan of the horror genre than this is a film festival for you!