Grab some Reese’s Pieces and get ready to revisit this beloved masterpiece, E.T. The Extra Terrestrial is getting a special edition release for its 40th anniversary! This edition will include over 45 minutes of amazing new bonus features. Fans will be able to get their hands on the 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, and digital copies on October 18.
E.T. has charmed audiences of all ages since it was first released back in 1982. This story of a little lost alien and the young boy he befriends touched the hearts of viewers and has stood the test of time. This special edition will bring back Elliot (played by Henry Thomas), Gertie (played by the adorable Drew Barrymore), and Michael (played by Robert MacNaughton). Elliot and his friends are trying to get their new friend back home but some obstacles stand in the way. Leonard Maltin, the renowned film critic, was quoted as calling E.T. “one of the great American films.”
Directed by the legendary Steven Spielberg this family favorite film includes music by legendary four-time Academy Award-winning composer John Williams. This release is the definitive way to experience such a heartwarming film that is a timeless message of trust, courage, and the overwhelming power of friendship. Fans can find the 40th-anniversary edition on the official website as well in select stores for a limited time beginning on October 18th.
This special edition will bring to light over 45 minutes of brand new bonus features. Below is the complete list.
- 40 years of E.T. The Extra Terrestrial – An all-new retrospective of the film and its legacy.
- TCM Classic film festival: an evening with Steven Spielberg – The acclaimed director reflects on his career and the making of E.T. 40 years later.
- The E.T. journals – Retrace the day-to-day experience of creating E.T. from never-before-seen, behind-the-scenes footage shot by award-winning cinematographer John Toll.
- Deleted Scenes
- Steven Spielberg & E.T. – Watch an interview with Steven Spielberg, as he reflects on the film and discusses his experiences of working with the actors, as well as his overall and current perspective on E.T.
- A look back – A special insider’s look into the making of E.T. featuring interviews with Steven Spielberg, the cast, and others intimately involved with the film.
- The evolution and creation of E.T.
- The E.T. reunion – The cast and filmmaker reunite to discuss their thoughts on the impact of the film.
- The Music of E.T.: A discussion with John Williams – Interviews and footage focused on the long-standing relationship between John Williams and Steven Spielberg.
- The 20th Anniversary Premiere- Composer John Williams played the score of E.T. live at the Shrine Auditorium for the re-release premiere of E.T. This featurette gives us a behind-the-scenes look at this presentation.
- Designs, Photographs, and marketing
- E.T. Designs by Production Illustrator Ed Verreaux
- E.T. Designs by Carlo Rambaldi
- Spaceship Designs by Ralph Mcquarrie
- Designs by Production Illustrator Ed Verreaux
- Production Photographs
- Marketing E.T.
- Theatrical Trailer
- Special Olympics T.V. Spot