With COVID-19 having people home more than usual, more people are turning to podcasts for their source of entertainment and information. If you’re like me and are interested in history, then you’re not going to want to miss this brand new podcast!
Ashley Flowers, who is the host and co-founder behind the incredibly popular true crime podcast Crime Junkie, brings a brand new podcast named Very Presidential. Very Presidential is an original podcast by Parcast Network that is also produced by Max Cutler.
In this new podcast, Flowers uncovers the dark secrets from 16 past presidencies that, up until now, have been kept under wraps. Flowers covers controversies and scandals of some of the more well known presidents, such as President John F. Kennedy, Grover Cleveland, Thomas Jefferson, Andrew Jackson, and Teddy Roosevelt. Just some of the surprising facts that isn’t widely known include:
- John F. Kennedy likely accidentally slept with not one but two spies during his short term. There are also rumors the young president was having an affair with 19-year-old intern named Mimi Alford.
- Kennedy also lived with colitis and Addison’s disease and was on all types of medication from sedatives, narcotics, morphine, and barbiturates.
- Lyndon Johnson, who was President Kennedy’s successor, was a heavy smoker and even smoked multiple packs of cigarettes within a day.
- Woodrow Wilson suffered at least three strokes during his first year in office.
- Grover Cleveland raped a woman named Maria Halpin resulting in a baby. This story remained secret until two weeks before the 1884 election when it leaked to the press.
Very Presidential releases new episodes every Tuesday through the 2020 election on Spotify and Apple Podcasts, with eight episodes released so far and more to come! Check out the trailer here. Flowers has a way of grabbing your attention from beginning to end with her exceptional storytelling, leaving listeners coming back for more.